Saturday, December 2, 2006

The Work of Righteousness

Isaiah 32:17 – “And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.”

Righteousness – the conscious act of doing right. To some it’s a chore – to others it comes with ease – but to all it carries with it the promises of a holy and righteous God. To Israel, God promised peace in the land, good crops, plenteous rainfall. He promised the blessings of God to be poured out upon their righteous heads. Isaiah continues in verse 18, “And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.” He promises them physical blessings for spiritual righteousness.

To the Christian, God says to “hunger and thirst after righteousness (Mt 5:6).” He tells us to “yield your members as instruments of righteousness (Rom 6:13).” He instructs us to put on “the armour of righteousness (2 Cor 6:7)” and “the breastplate of righteousness (Eph 6:14).” He tells us to “follow after righteousness (1 Tim 6:11)” and reminds us that the Word of God gives us “instruction in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16).” He even encourages us in that chastening leads to “the peaceable fruit of righteousness (Heb 12:11).”

One message is very clear, whether to the nation of Israel in the Old Testament or to the saints of the church in the New Testament. God will bless righteousness with “peace… and … quietness and assurance for ever.”

Serenity

I pillow my head at the end of each day
Without a shred of fear –
No worry about the end of my way –
No need to shed a tear.
The peace that only God can give
Dwells within my soul.
It helps me in this world to live –
It helps to make me whole.

The cares of life are hard to bear –
They cause an awful strain.
The threat of war, financial care,
And daily loss and pain.
But in spite of all of these,
He fills my heart with peace.
I try to live my Lord to please –
He gives me sweet release.

The Spirit of the Living God
Within my heart does dwell.
He guides me on this earthly sod
And causes me to tell
Of all His wondrous love and care,
The grace He does bestow,
From worldly fears my soul does spare
And makes me peace to know.
© 2006 Paul Stultz

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.