Monday, February 19, 2007

'Twas His Grace

2 Timothy 1:9 – “Who hath saved us … according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus.”

Charles Spurgeon and Joseph Parker both had churches in London in the 19th century. On one occasion, Parker commented on the poor condition of children admitted to Spurgeon's orphanage. It was reported to Spurgeon however, that Parker had criticized the orphanage itself. Spurgeon blasted Parker the next week from the pulpit. The attack was printed in the newspapers and became the talk of the town. People flocked to Parker's church the next Sunday to hear his rebuttal. "I understand Dr. Spurgeon is not in his pulpit today, and this is the Sunday they use to take an offering for the orphanage. I suggest we take a love offering here instead." The crowd was delighted. The ushers had to empty the collection plates 3 times. Later that week there was a knock at Parker's study. It was Spurgeon. "You know Parker, you have practiced grace on me. You have given me not what I deserved, you have given me what I needed.”

That’s just how God treats us, He gives us what we need, not what we deserve. If we got what we deserved, each of us would be in hell today – or well on our way – but God, in His infinite mercy, has chosen to give us that which we do not deserve. If you look in just about any Bible dictionary, you’ll find that the word grace means unmerited favor – that is, a gift that is not deserved or earned – and there is no way that we as finite beings could ever do anything in order to earn the gift of salvation. But God, in His infinite mercy, has chosen to give us that which we do not deserve – the free gift of salvation. And what do you have to do to receive a gift? Nothing, but accept it – it’s free – it’s a gift – it is in no way earned or worked for. Romans 6:23 tells us, “The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Ephesians 2:8 tells us, “For by grace are ye saved.” And that’s the unmerited favor of God – the free gift of salvation.
Twas His Grace

When in sin’s dark dominion I aimlessly trod,
When my soul did cry out in despair,
‘Twas His grace e’er so free wrought salvation from God.
Now I’m resting in His loving care.

This same grace is sufficient to meet every need
That might come in my life every day.
Every trial, every heartache He’ll graciously heed,
And He’ll guide me each step of the way.

When I’ve come to the end of this long tiresome race,
When I’ve finished my course here below,
He will sweetly sustain me through His precious grace
As across death’s dark river I go.

The Father sought me, the Saviour bought me,
The Spirit taught me of His sweet grace.
By grace He saved me, His grace secures me,
His grace will send me to His embrace.

© 2006 Paul Stultz

Quote - “Grace means undeserved kindness. It is the gift of God to man the moment he sees he is unworthy of God's favor.” – D. L. Moody

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.