Thursday, November 27, 2014

IN THE WORD DAILY
with Brother Rick

2 Corinthians 12: 9, 10
  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
V- 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then I am strong.

In the twelfth chapter of this epistle, Paul gives the account of a man who was caught up to the third heaven, and given revelations of God. We believe that Paul is referring to himself in this account. I have heard other commentators and scholars claim that Paul is speaking of someone else, but I believe this actually happened to the apostle Paul.

Our text reveals a truth about true service that seems to be overlooked and certainly is not accepted in today's religious circles  and today's modern church. The text reveals that suffering is a part of walking with Christ, always has been and always will be. “Yea and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution”, 2 Timothy 3: 12. This is a cold hard reality, friend. This suffering that Paul writes about, is not necessarily physical suffering that comes from the world or the enemies of God, but it also includes spiritual suffering as we fight off the principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness of this world, and spiritual wickedness in high places. Those who live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. Hey, listen up! We are not talking about church members, choir members, deacons or even preachers, that's not what the verse says. The verse says all that will LIVE GODLY. I have known many church members who don't live godly. I have known many deacons who don't live godly. And I can name some preachers who claim the name of Jesus and live for the world. But Paul was a man who surrendered his life for the furtherance of the gospel. And when a man makes that decision, LOOK OUT!!

Paul's account solidifies the fact that suffering brings maturity. These verses in our text seem strange to the natural man, because Paul invites these trials and claims to have pleasure in persecution. But those of us who have a relationship with the Savior know first hand that it is during the hard times that Christ seems to carry the load. It's when we can't go on when Christ carries us. It's when life has beaten us down, that we find only one set of footprints in the sand. It's when the devil has had his way, that Jesus pulls us out of the mire and sets our feet on the solid Rock. Peter found that out when he stepped out on the water that night. Matthew 14: 29, 30 says, “And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, Lord, save me.” Peter took his eyes off of Jesus and found himself to be powerless over the storm. Peter didn't need the Lord while he was on top of the water, it was when he looked at the wind and began to sink that the power of God became real to him. Peter didn't need the Lord when things were good, it was the trying times when Jesus became his best friend. He didn't need the Lord when all was well, he needed Jesus when he began to sink.

As I look back on my life, I too can say that through all of the tough times and all of the turmoil, it was during those tough times that the grace of God was most evident. Even when I was suffering in sin, I can see where Christ was there to protect me. According to his foreknowledge, I was already his Son. Suffering is part of the Christian life. Jesus does his best work when we have foolishly exhausted our resources and we have no where else to turn. Jesus is always there. Let me say something here, NEVER EVER use the grace of God as a free pass to fulfill your lusts, that's not what we are talking about, and if you choose to try God in that manner, you most likely will end up disappointed. That was FREE. However,  when the devil throws obstacles in our path, Jesus is always there. When the world throws us to the wolves for loving Jesus, He is always there. When family thinks you are a crackpot, Bible thumper, Jesus is always there. When your coworkers stay clear of you for speaking the truth, Jesus is always there. And, like Paul, when we are persecuted for our faith in Christ, Jesus manifests himself in a special way.

1 Peter 4: 12, 13 says, “Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.”
We certainly have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. And I am glad that no matter what comes my way, Jesus will always be there to pick me up and set me on a solid Rock. “My grace is sufficient for thee.” Ain't that the truth?

Have A Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.