Sunday, June 23, 2013

Keep Me Near to the Heart of God

Psalm 73:28 – “But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all thy works.”

In this day and age when sin and ungodliness run rampant throughout all levels of society, the need is great for us to get closer to God. But this is not new to our age – the psalmist faces the same problem in Psalm 73. He becomes envious of those who gain power and riches and seem to be immune to the judgment of God. This is a condition that we face even today. The songwriter says thus, “Then do we wonder why others prosper, / Living so wicked year after year.”

Asaph starts the psalm by declaring God’s goodness to men of clean heart – then he continues, declaring his own backslidden condition. He speaks of envy (v. 3), pride and violence (v. 6), corruption and wickedness (v. 8), rebellion against God (v. 9).  He even questions whether God even knows what is going on (v. 11). This thought culminates in verse 12 – “Behold these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.” This really plagued Asaph – he said, “When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me (v. 16).”

Then he went to church – “Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end (v. 17).” In the sanctuary of God his eyes were opened – his heart was cleansed – his understanding was awakened. What was the source of this awakening? Verse 24 – “Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel.” Verse 26 – “God is the strength of my heart.” This new understanding came to him directly from God the Father.  And what was the truth that was imparted to him? Verse 27 – “For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish.” Isn’t this a wonderful incentive to draw near to Him? We have this promise in James 4:8, “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.”

Keep Me Near to the Heart of God

Lord, have Thy way in my life today.
Teach me to seek Thy face in all I do.
Help me to live in Thy presence, Lord,
And to depend upon Thy Word so true.
Keep me tuned to Thy Will, My life O Spirit fill,
And keep me near to the heart of God.

When I submit to Thy Spirit, Lord,
The perfect peace of God will fill my heart.
Then He will give me my heart’s desire,
And to my life each day His grace impart.
If I will lean on Thine arm, Thou wilt shield me from alarm,
And keep me near to the heart of God.
© 2006 Paul Stultz

Quote – “The current of man's soul ran before towards evil; but the moment that he finds that Jesus Christ died for him, and that his sins are forgiven him for Christ's sake, the whole stream of his soul rushes in the other direction towards that which is right.” Charles H. Spurgeon

"Lord, You are truly wonderful - your grace is truly amazing - your love is truly boundless.  Help us to daily seek your face - help us to daily draw nearer to you.  Amen."

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.