Friday, June 14, 2013

Sinner's Prayer

Luke 18:13 "And the publican standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner."

Jamie and Eddie had quarreled.  So, as Jamie had been most to blame, he was sent upstairs alone to think over his sins and repent.  When his mother called him down, she asked him what he had been doing.  He replied, “Praying.”  “Well, my boy, what did you pray for?”  His reply was, “I prayed to God to pardon Eddie and make him a good boy, and bless all my deeds.”

If you will read the portion of Luke 18 just prior to the above-mentioned passage, you will see that this aptly illustrates the self-righteous attitude of the Pharisee as opposed to that of the publican.  The Pharisee, like young Jamie, felt that he had done no wrong, and therefore had nothing from which to repent.  In fact, he looked at the publican as a sinful man, not in need of salvation, but rather one with which to compare his own righteousness.

The publican, on the other hand, could not look at those around him and compare himself to them.  He had no self-righteous Pharisaical attitude getting in the way of a correct view of himself.  He could only bow his head in humility and simply ask, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner.”   He rightly saw himself as a sinful creature, not worthy of even lifting his head before God.
Sinner’s Prayer

O Lord, I pray Thee, I need Thy hand of mercy.
Touch my sinful heart, Lord, and make me wholly Thine.
Lord God Almighty, cleanse this wretched soul.
Show forth Thy goodness through Thy power divine.

My sins alone, Lord, did cause Thy death at Calv'ry,
Thou hast died to save me, to wash my sins away.
Take now my heart, Lord, I give it o'er to Thee.
Forgive my sins, Lord, and wash me clean today.

I am not worthy to speak Thy Name so holy.
I am vile and wretched; my heart is filled with sin.
Thou alone art able – create my heart anew.
Through Thy grace and mercy come Thou abide within.
© 2006 Paul Stultz

The importance of a humble spirit is emphasized in Christ’s commendation of the publican’s humility when He said, “I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted (Luke 18:14.”

This humility of spirit gives credence to the saying, “Exalt yourself and you’ll never come nigh to God.  Humble yourself and He will descend to you.”

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.