Monday, June 24, 2013

The Wonder of the Word

Psalm 119:29 – “Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore my soul doth keep them?”

Psalm 119 speaks much about the wonders of the Word of God.  Verse 97, “O how I love thy law!  it is my meditation all the day.”  Verse 152, “Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them forever.”  Verse 165, “Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.”  But this verse, “Thy testimonies are wonderful” speaks volumes.  Dr. Harold Sightler once told exactly what the wonders of the Word of God are. 

First, the Word of God is like a fire to consume fears and heartaches.  In the Scriptures one can find everything needed to heal and comfort.  Verse 52 tells us, “I remember thy judgments of old, O Lord; and have comforted myself.”  And verse 50, “This is my comfort in my affliction.”  Isaiah 26:3 promises, “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.”  According to this, He promises peace of heart.

The Word of God is like a hammer to break the hardest heart.  In Ezekiel 11:19, the prophet speaking of the believing remnant says, “And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them a heart of flesh.”  Only God’s Word can take the hardest heart and break it into a million pieces.  David, in his psalm of repentance, Psalm 51, cries out, “Create in me a clean heart, O God.”

The Word of God is like a light to illumine our pathway.  Psalm 119:105 instructs us, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”  If we will use His Word to illumine our path, He will guide us in the way we should go.  The psalmist in verse 35 says, “Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.”  Of course, the greatest work of the light of the gospel is to shine on the darkness of man’s heart and point him to Calvary.

The Word of God is like a net to draw all men unto Him.  Verse 59 says, “I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.”  If we will meditate on His Word, it will draw us unto Him.  In fact the dragnet of Matthew 13 was cast into the sea and drew all men to Him.  Christ Himself tells the Jews in John 12:32, “And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.”  The gospel of Christ will draw men unto Him for salvation.

The Word of God is like food to feed the hungry heart.  Verse 103 says, “How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea sweeter than honey to my mouth!”  Nothing sustains the heart of man more fully than to feast on the precious Word of God.  Once again, Christ told the disciples, when they questioned Him about meat, that He had meat to eat that they knew not of.  He then told them in John 4:34, “My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.”

The Word of God is like a foundation to build a spiritual house upon.  Just as the wise man of Matthew 7:24, we need to build our spiritual house on the rock – the rock of God’s Word.  And according to Ephesians 2:20, “Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone.”  If we will build on the Word of God with Jesus Christ as the chief corner stone, our spiritual house will be able to stand against the storms of this life and the onslaughts of the devil.

The Word of God is like a knowledge to assurance of salvation.  1 John 5:13 tells us, “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life.”  The Scriptures are chock full of promises of everlasting life.  The most well-known is John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

Quote – “The only sure rule is the sure Word of God.” Dr. Jimmy Robbins

"Lord, The wonders of your Word are above mortal description.  Help us to lose ourselves in the Word and find ourselves in your Grace.  Amen."

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.