Saturday, August 24, 2013

Free Indeed

John 8:36 - “If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.”

I once read of a family who went whitewater rafting in the Great Smokies. When they started out it seemed like they were in control of the raft. But then they came to the first rapids. Big waves threatened to engulf them. The water swirled around them and pushed and pulled at their raft. No matter how hard they paddled or even in what direction, they had no choice but to go through the rapids and down the river. You see, it was the river – not the family – that was in control. In the same way, in fallen man it is sin and evil, not man himself, that is in control. No matter how hard we try, sin and evil plunges us straight ahead into the abyss of ruin and destruction.  We are bound by the chains of sin, and we will know no freedom until we meet the One who is Freedom.

We hear much talk in this world of freedom – freedom from persecution – freedom from slavery – freedom from dictatorship.  Men and nations go about to set up democracies throughout the world.  But know this, the freedom that Christ refers to in this verse is much more to be desired than any freedom that can be obtained on this earth.  Granted the children of Israel reveled in the freedom they gained from the taskmasters of Egypt, but the point of that experience and its inclusion in the Word of God was to be a picture of the sinner and his salvation through the blood of Christ.  Their coming through the Red Sea was a picture of the sinner’s death to sin and resurrection to glory.  Their passing through the Jordan River was a picture of the saint crossing into the joys of victorious Christian living.  Their wars and eventual conquest of Canaan was a picture of the struggles and trials the Christian goes through in this Christian life and the eventual victory he has in Christ.  The freedom we have in Christ is a freedom from the taskmaster of this world – it’s a freedom from the penalty of judgment – it’s a freedom from the chains of sin.  “If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.”

I’ve Been Set Free

I’ve been unshackled; I’ve been set free.
The Holy Son of God has come and dwells in me.
He’s brought me freedom; He’s brought me life.
He’s loosed me from the chains of sin and strife.
I’m free, yes free, I am free indeed.
He has loosed me, now I’m free indeed.

I’ve met the Saviour; I’ve been set free.
The blessed Spirit has come down and works in me.
He gives me guidance; He gives me love.
He gives me peace that comes from God above.
I’m free, yes free, I am free indeed.
He has saved me, now I’m free indeed.

I am rejoicing; I’ve been set free.
The Heavenly Father has reached down and rescued me.
He has redeemed me; He’s made me whole.
He has delivered me from sin’s control.
I’m free, yes free, praise the Lord, I’m free.
I’m rejoicing for I’m free indeed.
© 2006 Paul Stultz

Quote – “Ye have not yet come to the full liberty of the children of God, as you will do if you cast yourselves into the hands of Jesus who looseth the captives.” – Charles H. Spurgeon



"Lord, Thank you for the freedom we have in you. Thank you for the salvation that makes us free. Help us to ever rejoice in your salvation. Amen." 

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.