Wednesday, August 14, 2013

That I May Know Him

Philippians 3:10 – “That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;”

Some years ago at a drawing-room function, one of England's leading actors was asked to recite for the pleasure of his fellow guests. He consented and asked if there was anything special that his audience would like to hear. After a moment's pause, an old clergyman present said: "Could you, sir, recite to us the Twenty-third Psalm?" A strange look passed over the actor's face; he paused for a moment, and then said: "I can, and I will, upon one condition; and that is that after I have recited it, you, my friend, will do the same." "I," said the clergyman, in surprise. "But I am not an elocutionist. However, you wish it, I will do so."

Impressively, the great actor began the psalm. His voice and his intonation were perfect. He held his audience spellbound; and as he finished, a great burst of applause broke from the guests.  Then, as it died away, the old clergyman arose and began the psalm. His voice was not remarkable; his intonation was not faultless. When he had finished, no sound of applause broke the silence, but there was not a dry eye in the room, and many heads were bowed.  Then the actor rose to his feet again. His voice shook as he laid his hand upon the shoulder of the old clergyman and said: "I reached your eyes and ears, my friends; he reached your hearts. The difference is just this: I know the Twenty-third Psalm, but he knows the Shepherd."

Yes, that’s the difference between a head knowledge about Christ and a heart knowledge and personal relationship with Christ.  In order to know Him, we must first trust in Him for salvation.  Paul gives the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15 as the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Romans 10:9 tells us, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”  So, belief in the resurrection of Christ is crucial to salvation.

Also important to truly knowing Him in salvation is to partake in His sufferings.  Hebrews 11:26 tells us that Moses esteemed “the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt.”  He saw the necessity to give up the things of this earth and partake in Christ’s sufferings.  And just as important is the third component in our verse, “being made conformable unto his death.”  We see this in Galatians 2:20, “I am crucified with Christ,” and Romans 12:1, “That ye present your bodies a living sacrifice.”  Only through knowing Him in salvation do we truly know Him.

That I May Know Him

My desire in this life is to know more of Him

And depend on Him more every day.
I must trust in His strength as I travel this earth,
To sustain every step in the way.

‘Tis the power that raised Him from grave cold and dark
That will keep me attuned to His Will.
That same power bringeth comfort to my weary soul
And maketh my fears to be still.

I have learned to rejoice when troubles abound,
That I might for His sake endure.
For the fellowship of His sufferings so sweet
Keeps my every step steady and sure.

All the great pain that Christ had to bear
During His short time on this earth
Makes me wonder why we deserve any more,
As we strive for merriment and mirth.
© 2006 Paul Stultz

Quote “Anything that gets in your way of knowing Jesus Christ in a personal fellowship is dross in your life – Throw it out!” – Dr. Bob Jones, III

"Lord, Thank you for loving me - thank you for dying for me - thank you for saving me. Lord, help me to know you more - closer and closer, Lord. Amen."

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.