Monday, August 12, 2013

Peter's Dilemma

Luke 22:31-32 – “And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen the brethren.”

Have you ever wondered exactly what went through Peter’s mind that night that he denied the Lord?  Verse 62 of this chapter, occurring after his denial, tells us that “Peter went out and wept bitterly.”  But exactly what was it he was feeling as his mind flooded with emotions.  After all, he was the recognized leader of the group of disciples that followed Jesus everywhere He went.  He spoke for the group – he acted for the group – he was the strength of the group.  Wasn’t it him who walked on the water with Christ?  Wasn’t it him who was with Christ on the Mount of Transfiguration?  Wasn’t it him who Christ said would hold the keys to the kingdom of heaven?

But now, he was all confused.  Christ had told him that Satan would sift him like wheat.  Christ had told him that he would deny Him three times and he had.  He tried to defend Him – he fought off the mob that assaulted Him – he cut off an ear of one of them – and then he was rebuked for fighting.  He tried to follow Christ as He was taken by the mob to the High Priest, but then he was confronted by those who warmed by the fire.  He panicked – he gave in to the tempter – and he denied that he even knew the Lord.  And then came that look – Christ turned and looked at him.  He could see in His gaze – His disappointment – His love – His understanding.  And in that moment, he knew that he had to get away from it all and seek God’s forgiveness.
Introspection

Lord, how have I forgotten Thee, Who giveth all things good?
How turned I my back on Thee, Not walked the way I should?
How has the world allured me To turn from Thy dear Will?
How have I forsaken Thee, Not walking with Thee still?

I thought that I was capable To walk in my own strength.
I thought that I could trust myself With Satan at sword’s length.
I thought to fight the physical, When that was not Thy plan.
The fight was in a higher realm, To save the soul of man.

Then as I warmed by Satan’s fire, I swore I knew Thee not,
Denying Thee before the world, I fell for Satan’s plot.
And then at last when cock did crow I saw just where I stood.
Lord, how have I forgotten Thee, Who giveth all things good?
© 2006 Paul Stultz

But as Christ had told him, Peter got right with the Lord and became a pillar of the church.  After His resurrection, Christ sought him out, tenderly forgave him, and gave him a special commission to feed the sheep of God.  And then after the Holy Ghost came and gave the apostles a special unction, Peter fulfilled Christ’s prophecy and strengthened the brethren.  He became the apostle to the Jews – the spiritual giant of the Jerusalem church – the one who opened the door of the gospel to the Gentiles.  He, a humble fisherman, wrote two great epistles that became part of the canon of Scripture.  He became such a great warrior for God that he himself went to a cross and died a martyr’s death – but upside down, so as not to die the same way as his Lord. 

Quote – “Peter’s was the greatest comeback in history.” – Dr. Ron Schafer

"Lord, Thank you for being our one and only true Saviour - for going to the cross to save us from our sins - for being ready to forgive when we fail you. And Lord, Thank you for your ministry of reconciliation allowing us to be used of you after that forgiveness. Amen."

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.