Thursday, August 22, 2013

From Him Cometh . . .

Psalm 62:1 – “Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.”

The citizens of Feldkirch, Austria, didn't know what to do. Napoleon's massive army was preparing to attack. Soldiers had been spotted on the heights above the little town, which was situated on the Austrian border. A council of citizens was hastily summoned to decide whether they should try to defend themselves or display the white flag of surrender. It happened to be Easter Sunday, and the people had gathered in the local church. The pastor rose and said, "Friends, we have been counting on our own strength, and apparently that has failed. As this is the day of our Lord's resurrection, let us just ring the bells, have our services as usual, and leave the matter in His hands. We know only our weakness, and not the power of God to defend us." The council accepted his plan and the church bells rang. The enemy, hearing the sudden peal, concluded that the Austrian army had arrived during the night to defend the town. Before the service ended, the enemy broke camp and left.

Too many times, men try to work out their own salvation.  The humanistic philosophies of today teach us that we can be self-reliant – self-sufficient – self-dependent.  But if the truth be known, the philosophies of today are wrong.  Our verse tells us that salvation comes from God.  James 1:17 tells us, “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights.”  And salvation is the most perfect gift – the best gift – the most divine gift.  If we depend on our own selves for salvation, then we are “of all men most miserable,” as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:19.  For it’s in the Lord Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, that salvation comes.  Acts 4:12 tells us, “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”

But the context of the verse gives us several other things that come from God. From Him cometh . . .

1. My Rock – verse 2 – The old hymn goes, “The Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide, A Shelter in the time of storm; Secure whatever ill betide, A Shelter in the time of storm. Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land, A weary land, a weary land; Oh, Jesus is a Rock in a weary land, A Shelter in the time of storm.”   Psalm 18:2 – “The Lord is my rock, and my fortress.”  With Him as our sure foundation, how can we falter?

2. My Defense – verse 2 – “But the Lord is my defence; and my God is the rock of my refuge  (Psalm 94:22).”  “For God is my defense, The God of my mercy (Psalms 59:16-17)."  Is God is our defense, who do we have to fear?

3. My Expectation – verse 5 – “According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain (Phil 1:20, 21).”  Our earnest expectation will ever be to live in heaven with Him for all eternity.  With Him as our expectation, how can we be disappointed?

4. My Glory – verse 7 – “But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ (Gal 6:14).”  In Him and Him only can we glory.  What else could the child of God glory in?

5. My Strength – verse 7 – “The Lord is my strength and song, and is become my salvation (Psalm 118:14).”  “The Lord is my light and my salvation; of whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1).”  When you have a big brother like Him, what bully can pick on you?

6. My Refuge – verse 7 – “The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: (Deut 33:27)”  When you can run to Him for refuge, can ought harm you?

Quote – “When man’s mind comes in conflict with God’s mind, he will either put away his own thoughts, or he will continue in his own ways and reject God.” – Dr. Ivan Foster

"Lord, Thank you for the great gift of salvation. Help us to remember that all good gifts come from you. Amen." 

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.