Saturday, July 6, 2013

Let's Have a Pity Party

1 Kings 19:4 - “But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers.”

In a message entitled “How to Have a Successful Nervous Breakdown,” Dr. John McCormick brought out some very valid points about this instance in the life of the great prophet Elijah.  This passage takes place in the very next chapter after Elijah’s great contest with the prophets of Baal.  Elijah, so strong that morning, was now fleeing from Jezebel and asking God to kill him.  As Dr. McCormick pointed out, if he had just hung around where he was, then Jezebel would have taken care of that for him.

But we are sure he didn’t really want to die.  He was just having himself a pity party.  How often we get discouraged in our Christian life and have ourselves a little pity party.  David did over in Psalm 142.  He says, “I cried unto the Lord with my voice . . . I poured out my complaint before him . . . my spirit was overwhelmed within me . . . refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. (Vv. 1-4)”

David and Elijah had several things in common that caused them to become discouraged.  The same is true for each of us:  First, they forgot that a time of blessing is always followed by a time of testing.  And the severity of that testing will be in direct equal proportion to that of the blessing.  Elijah had won a great victory for God – now a time of great testing must follow. Real character is formed under pressure.  The child of God must learn to lean on God’s strength.

Second, they tried to run from their problems.  Most of our problems are not around us – they are in us.  We just drag them along with us.  If we review our problems, we usually find our own names stamped on the bottom as the manufacturer.  Third, they exaggerated their problems and minimized their blessings.  Fear looks at circumstances – faith looks to God.  Over in Acts 5:41, Peter and John rejoiced that they could suffer for Jesus.

Fourth, they developed a martyr complex.  In verses 10 and 14 Elijah said, “And I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.”  He seemed to indicate that God owed him something for all the great things he had done for Him.  He had an exaggerated sense of his own importance.   Our text verse says, “It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers.”  Poor Elijah – he had done such great things for God – now he must die for Him too.

But you know, God does not rebuke Elijah here – or David over in Psalm 142.  He just kind of speaks to them in a still small voice and lets them know that He is still with them.  In Psalm 142:5 David realizes, “Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.”  And God assures Elijah that there are still seven thousand in Israel who have not surrendered to Baal and gently urges him to get back to work.  And he did.

Quote – “The definition of psychiatry is ‘fallen man trying to tell fallen man what is wrong with fallen man.’” Dr. John McCormick.

"Lord, Thank you for your love and care.  Thank you for being ever ready to speak to our needs.  Help us, Lord, To look to you and ever depend on your care.  Amen."

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.