Friday, July 19, 2013

The Light of the World

John 8:12 – “Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”

A poor little boy once heard his Sunday School teacher say Jesus was the light of the world. He took her remark quite literally. After class, the boy said to his teacher, "If Jesus really is the light of the world, I wish He'd come hang out in my alley. It's awful dark where I live."

Oh, the innocence of child-like faith.  But, as Christ Himself said in Matthew 21:16, “Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise.”  This simple illustration shows how Christ, the Light of the world can come into a dark world and permeate every corner with the light of His blessed salvation.  In the Scriptures, darkness is a picture of spiritual blindness, human sin through which man tends to separate himself from God.

The apostle John tells us in John 1:9, speaking of Christ, “That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.”  But man persistently refuses to believe – refuses to follow – refuses to see or understand the light.  John 3:19 tells us, "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."  Again, John 1:5 says, “And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.” 

But Christ tells Nicodemus in John 3:21, “But he that doeth truth, cometh to the light.”  And because of Christ’s finished work at Calvary, those who come to the Light, “whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16).”

The Light of the World

I am the Light of the world, He said,
I light the way in the night.
And any who wish the darkness to leave
Must follow me into the light.
But men, in their natural fleshly state,
Would rather in darkness stay,
For they love the darkness rather than light,
Which illumines their evil way.

I am the Light of the world, He said,
Through which man’s life is made whole.
My light shines bright from Calvary’s cross –
Illuminates man’s sinful soul.
It searches out every corner so dark
And brings to light all evil deeds.
It permeates every inch of his heart
And satisfies all of man’s needs.

I am the Light of the world, He said,
The Light from which no man can hide.
Why do you continue to walk in the world,
When with me you ought to abide?
Walk in the light as I do, He says,
My fellowship you can enjoy.
My blood shall have cleansed your heart of all sin,
And my grace in your life I’ll employ.
© 2006 Paul Stultz

Quote – “Since Christ is our Light and He has ordained us to be lights in the world, let us shine to the utmost of our capacity until the Master shall take us to dwell with Him in the Light of God forever!” – C.H. Spurgeon

"Lord,  Help us to worship you as the light - help us to shine your light through our lives - help us to reflect your glory in all we do.  Amen."

"He Knows My Name" - MVBC Young Ladies Trio

Ravenna Kennels

If you go to this website, http://www.ravennakennels.com/, you'll find beautiful German Shepherd dogs. If you're looking for German Shepherd puppies for pets, for showing, for training or any other reason, please contact us at info@ravennakennels.com.